2021-01-07 - 01:40:08 SPORTS |
TRIBUTES TO EARL GABBY HART FROM BNAA MEMBERSHIP
On behalf of the Bermuda National Athletics Association we would like to offer our sincere condolences to the family, friends and our athletic family for the loss of Mr. Earl “Gabby” Hart. Mr. Hart was one of the founding members of the Bermuda Track and Field Association and served on the first executive committee under the late President Randy Benjamin.
He was an avid supporter of track & field. He was one of the persons who were on the Organizing Committee and served in a leadership role when Bermuda hosted the Carifta Games in 1975 (Bermuda earned more medals than Jamaica at that Carifta Games). He also served on the Organizing Committee the second time Bermuda hosted Carifta in 1980.
Mr. Hart was one of our forever “VIPs” and there was no event when he was not in attendance from the Carifta Games, Area Permit Meet, Front Street Mile, Cocktail receptions etc. Mr. Hart was a historian of this sport and if there was anything you needed to know regarding Bermuda track & field Mr. Hart would provide you with the information.
I remember Mr. Hart at several Carifta Games locally and overseas, his enthusiasm and excitement when a Bermuda athlete competed, especially when they made it on the podium. Mr. Hart was known throughout the region as his love for this sport was no secret. He was an advocate for the growth and development of track & field in Bermuda.
Mr. Hart touched so many people in our sport, we asked them to say a few words about their memories of him.
* Norbert Simons - Mr. Hart was a giant among men in education, and sport in particular Track and Field and football. His support for track, especially CARIFTA was known throughout the region. I recall the very first CARIFTA Games in Barbados when he along with the other members of the association did all they could to ensure Bermuda would participate in it. Mr. Hart proudly led the team to the inaugural event and needless to say the rest is history. From a personal point, Mr. Hart supported me professionally.
When I became Director of the Department of Youth Sport and Recreation, he often would give me an encouraging word. He often attended the Sports Awards and many other sporting events. Mr. Hart’s jovial personality and support of sport will be greatly missed. Bermuda has lost a Legend.
* Debbie Jones-Hunter - Back in the day and to present, Mr. Hart, a staunch advocate for the continued progress and growth of Athletics for our island home spoke volumes with his involvement in the initial phases of the Carifta Games 1972. To present, many athletes have benefited from the fruits of his labour of love.
He was also our very own ‘live sports commentator/announcer’ who at times was so excited during the competition that his everlasting infectious laugh could clearly be heard throughout the ‘Stadium’ and how one could not help but giggle as well.
* Branwen Smith-King - "I would like to express my sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Earl "Gabby” Hart. Gabby was well known as a leader in the community, for he had a vibrant personality and a relentless commitment to the youth of Bermuda. As a founding member of the Bermuda Track & Field Association, Gabby set his sights on helping young athletes reach their potential in the sport. For example, in the 1970's, Gabby was instrumental in making sure our athletes had the opportunity to represent Bermuda internationally. Without his leadership, the success and development of Athletics simply would not have happened. Advocate, teacher, coach, and confidant are just a few of the roles he played in a legacy that will last forever.
Gabby's sense of humour, passion for sports, and love of others can never be duplicated - he will be sorely missed. "
* Gerry Swan - Earl Hart was dedicated to the development and progress of people and, in particular, ‘young people’ of Bermuda. Those desires and commitment to help, advise and encourage others were clearly demonstrated and evident throughout the decades of professional service that he provided as an educator and as an administrator and/or representative in various sports.
Earl ‘Gabby’ Hart was a people person - he loved being with people and enjoyed life.
* Devon Bean – I have fond memories of Mr. Hart. He was my Deputy Principal at Warwick Secondary School for the five years I attended there. I vividly recall, in his famous voice “boy where are you supposed to be?... WELL GET THERE!!!”. Mr. Hart was a great educator and role model. He was militant and firm, but he was always fair. We often had long talks about track and field and he always encouraged me to follow my dream of becoming an Olympian. Mr. Hart loved to tell a story and I was always willing to listen. He will be missed. May he forever SIP.
( Photo courtesy of Jamel Hart )
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.
Six hundred and eighty thousand dollar cannabis seizure.
More than half a million dollars-worth of cannabis seized after police executed a warrant at a resid
Motocross Association Senior Member Tests Positive for Coronavirus
A senior member of the Bermuda Motocross Association admitted during a general member meeting via Zo
BERMUDA CRICKET BOARD AGM SEES ELECTION OF NEW PRESIDENT AND VICE-PRESIDENT
The Executive of the Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) is pleased to announce the appointment of a new Pre
13 NEW POSITIVE CORONAVIRUS CASES RECORDED TODAY
There were 2380 test results received by the Ministry of Health since the last update, and thirteen
Dunkley Talks about Bus and Minibus Dispute
The current dispute between bus and minibus operators and the government of Bermuda, former Premier
House Impeaches President Trump for Second Time
Mitch McConnell won’t convene Senate early for a trial; 10 Republicans join Democrats in voting to
Exceptional Turnout for Community Feeding
Nina Webb felt that, with everything that went on in 2020, Bermudians have drifted away from one ano
SLAND WIDE POWER OUTAGE BELCO WORKING TO RESTORE POWER
The Minister of National Security, the Hon. Renee Ming advised this morning that the Disaster Risk R
BERMUDA’S NEW GOVERNOR TAKES OATH OF OFFICE
This morning (Dec. 14), Her Excellency, Ms. Rena Lalgie was sworn-in as the Governor of Bermuda duri
Premier, David Burt, On Throne Speech Initiatives
On Friday, November the 6th, this Government presented the 2020 Throne Speech, which detailed how in
BERMUDA RECORDED ITS 6TH ROAD TRAFFIC FATALITY OF 2020
Bermuda has recorded its 6th road traffic fatality, following a two vehicle collision in Sandy’s P